This Connecting Business initiative (CBi) document presents the importance of gender in private sector and disaster management, as well as the interconnections between these themes. Developed in two months as a starting point to a new thematic area for CBi, the publication includes the following:
- an introduction to the theme, starting with what gender is and why it matters in private sector disaster management;
- the results of a literature review, a survey and interviews with key partners and actors related to gender in disaster management;
- a special chapter on COVID-19, gender and the private sector, explaining the major impact the pandemic has had as it relates to gender, as well as the window of opportunity;
- three case studies of how the private sector has addressed gender and disaster management so far, focusing on 1) women-led micro-, small-, and medium-sized enterprises in a double disaster; 2) displacement in fragile contexts; and 3) data and technology;
- a mapping of close to 200 resources, that can be further used as specific resources to guide the work of each actor.
The document is a shared effort based on the knowledge of a large variety of experts and actors and it invites you to participate in the discussions and exchange of ideas on how to bring the theme further!